Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happiness is a Handmade Duvet

I had been eyeing this duvet from West Elm for a very long time, but just could not rationalize coughing up over $100 for it. 






Instead, I did some research on the internet and found a DIY version from a fellow blogger: Living on the Chic. I have fallen in love with Trissta's blog and have found many other DIY projects on her blog that I MUST take on! This weekend, I actually made the duvet!


If you read her blog, you will see that she was able to find some sheets at the local thrift store and saved bcps money. I wasn't that patient, so I found mine at Target for $13/each. After asking around, I managed to borrow a 1973 Singer Genie sewing machine from my friend, Shannon's mom (one of her 6 sewing machines?!). She even threaded the thing for me (which I ended up somehow undoing and having to spend hours figuring out how to make work again). Once I figured it out (thank you online instructions), it worked like a dream!



The first step in the process is to mark out all your little sections where you will be creating the pintucks. I did this with some eyeliner, mostly because I figured it would wash out when I threw it in the laundry and also because I'm not a seasoned sewing genius with practical sewing tools (such as a sewing pencil) just laying around. I have a picture of this, but it's hard to see, so if you need to see this in action, check out Trissta's blog. Once I had everything marked out, I started making the pintucks. I did this by hand because I had not quite figured out the sewing machine and I had no other option. It is really easy to do, just pick up the fabric, twist it and sew in place.




I made sure to have these very secure in order to avoid having to redo them in the future if the seams came out. Once this was done, I contemplated how long it would take me to sew the two Queen size sheets together into a duvet...by hand. I think it only took me 2.5 seconds to realize that this was an impossible idea - so I tried AGAIN to make the Singer Genie work. After giving up several times, researching on the internet and finally just simply following the directions that my friend gave me on threading the machine, it all worked! After that, it only took about 15 minutes to actually sew the sheets together. I even added a little fabric to create bows at the bottom (from leftover fabric).




The finished product is gorgeous and I even did the same design to an extra pillow case to complete the project. 


Total cost:
Queen Sheets - $27
Sewing Machine - FREE! (borrowed)


Savings:
$100 (when including a pillow sham)


Yes, it took some time, but I learned how to use a sewing machine in the process and I feel really good about the final product. Next up: Perhaps this beautiful jewelry tree (made from an actual branch!)? 





-Sara

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! It looks AMAZING! Thanks for the props and blog love, I'm now following yours! I can't wait to see what other projects you take on, you're such an inspiration and hard worker. Good job!

    Much Love,
    Trissta
    www.livingonthechic.com

    ReplyDelete