Friday, October 15, 2010

Playing Tetris with my Belongings

Tomorrow is the big day: Moving Day. Being a procrastinator, I still have a lot to do, but I seem to work well under pressure, so I'm not too worried. I managed to fit the entire contents of my closet into the trunk of my Honda Accord, still on the hangers for optimal ease of unpacking (hopefully). With my closest barren, I realize that this is really happening. I am moving to Houston and starting a new job in mere days! I have been ignoring the obvious for at least a week now, keeping my mind busy with day to day things so that I would not freak out. I am feeling some panic right now, but it's probably only temporary. I have so much left to do that I don't have time to panic.

Moving has got to be one of the worst things in life. The only upside is that I have purged a LOT of stuff (either because I didn't want to pack it or because if I haven't even seen it in a year, it's of no use to me) and I will hopefully learn to not purchase frivolous things anymore. Or at least not as much. One can dream.


Yesterday was my last day at work and the ladies got me a cookie cake. I thought it was really sweet of them and wish I had thought to take a picture before everyone got a piece of it. They also had everyone meet for Happy Hour at Botticelli's on South Congress and we had a lot of fun! They had me take a shot and wished me well with my new job in Houston.


Speaking of procrastinating, I suppose I had better get back to packing so that I can do some more celebrating tonight. I am looking forward to seeing how much stuff I can fit into my car...

1 comment:

  1. it's hard to believe the moving day is finally here. it's weird how things like that creep up on you. this post reminds me of what i was telling you just days before i left, that my life was normal, as it always is, but i couldn't get my mind around the fact that in a few days it would be completely different. it won't make sense until you get there. and you'll be fine, i know you. look at the friends you made at work - you initially didn't like the place and wanted to quit (kind of like moving to houston and expecting to hate it) and then poof! you made the best of it and actually made friends, shared some good times and appreciated the experience. the new job in houston is exciting, i can't wait to hear more about your work and everything you'll be doing there. so proud of you, lady! this is a big step toward your future :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete