Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Boot Camp, Take 3

I'm not quite sure why I thought it would be a good idea to give Boot Camp another try (after failing miserably to complete the last two I signed up for), but Nichole asked if I wanted to do a free class with her and I said yes. Mostly because I wanted to hang out with her and exercise is good for you. Lunges, I have come to decide, are the devil.

The class started out simply, a short jog to the other side of the Mopac pedestrian bridge, and then it got serious. Relays. Lunges across the field followed by something I've forgotten the name of (essentially consists of jumping down into Plank and coming back up into a jump) X3 and a sprint back where your partner awaits you. While your partner does what you just did, you must do tricep push-ups until they come back. And then it's time for another round of relays, this time with different kinds of lunges, and this goes on for way too long in my opinion. After this wonderful bout of exercise, we repeated everything in rapid succession, without the trade off with the partner - followed by endless crunches. As if this was no enough, we then had to hold Plank while each member went around the circle and jumped over us. If you made it to the end (everyone did), you had to run back to your car and call it a day...

Except that I thought it would be a good idea to ride my bike to Town Lake...meaning I had a good 30-40 min ride back. Needless to say, I am TIRED. Around 6th and Congress, I saw an accident involving a pedestrian and a car. I hope that guy is going to be OK. Sobering thing to see. Reminded me of the book I just finished reading last night, The Elegance of the Hedgehog. (Spoiler Alert!)



This book really threw a curve ball and upset me to no end. I nearly cried and that's really saying something. How could you just kill off one of the main characters? How heartbreaking! I truly enjoyed the book, but the last little bit seriously threw me for a loop and I am not a big fan of the ending. Or maybe I am, because it really does make you realize how precious life is and how little we appreciate it. Something to think about...

1 comment:

  1. 1. lunges were in fact sent to the earth by Lucifer himself. hate those.
    2. i felt short of breath just reading your description of boot camp. jeez.
    3. wow that book sounds good, esp if it made YOU cry (i thought me leaving was the only thing that could do that!) and yes, there is an incredible fragility to life that we only realize once someone is truly gone.

    ReplyDelete