Wednesday, July 27, 2011

How's it Sewing?

Ok, I promise that's the only sewing play on words I'll expose you to. :) Ok maybe just one more...

I broke down and bought my first sewing machine a few weeks ago and it arrived over the weekend. I chose it based on online reviews saying it was great for beginners (read: me). And so far, I must say, it is a dream! This is the model I got: Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable (haha, it was though! I only paid about $75) 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine

Excited about sewing
I decided that I wanted to sew a little dress for my coworker who is about to become a mommy. She's having a little girl and I chose a very cute yellow pattern for the dress. After several mishaps (and subsequent fixes), here is the final product!



Close up of the ribbon, which I added because of a mishap, but totally works!

Knots for the straps :)

This is to prove that I actually made it!
 Isn't it just adorable? Makes me almost want to have babies. ALMOST. For now, I'll just make cute things for other people's children. Like these tiny baby bibs for my other coworker who is expecting twins. :)


Terry Cloth backs for easy cleanup
  What did I learn from my first few days of being a sewing machine owner?

1. Look up terminology - there are a lot of words that I had no idea existed and are kind of important when you're trying to follow directions
2. Read instructions, then read them again...and possibly a third time - better to be safe than stare blankly at the beautiful sewing you just completed...on the wrong side of the material
3. It's ok to make mistakes - just figure out a way to work with them or around them

What do you think of my first attempts? Hopefully I can make a dress for myself one day. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! But I'm warning you, it is an addiction! Prepare to spend all your money on fabric and give up your social life to sew every weekend! Or maybe that's just me...

    Also, adorable dress! I wish someone I knew was having a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I wish I wish I knew how to sew on a machine! I only know how to do it by hand!:(

    ReplyDelete